Monday, November 10, 2008

Adelaide and First Day in Sydney





We just arrived at the Park Hyatt in Sydney.  Our view shows the Opera House and the circular quay surrounding downtown Sydney.  It is quite the town.  We had a wonderful time in Adelaide.  We spent the entire day yesterday in the Barossa Valley.  It is a huge wine growing area.  The rolling hills of grape vines, trees, and wheat fields are quite spectacular.  We had two guys from Florida and Atlanta with us on the tour.  They were a kick.  Susan tasted and drank most of the day away!  I had fun with the people who actually make the wine and the French Oak casks that are used for the aging of the wine.  I have a nice oval cask being custom made with an engraved carving on the front of the cask coming via mail to Seattle.  I will not be able to see if for a couple of months as they have to make it and then ship it to us.  Cindy, I also bought a very nice quilt in a little town called Tanunda.  I will show it to you when we return.  I met the gal who made it.  It took her a year to complete. Susan was petered out from all the wine tasting (swilling if you ask me) so she is in her favorite position in the room-that being asleep in bed.  I have been wandering the down town area of Sydney looking at things.  We take our air tour in the morning, have Thursday to ourselves and then a sailing tour on Friday.  Saturday, we are off to Brisbane.  It seems to be going way to fast.  I will be posting a bunch of pictures to this post.  I am sure you can guess where they are.

2 comments:

rkbirk said...

Wow -- those full-sized kangaroos are amazing, Dick. Way to jump on that opportunity -- ar ar.
Hey, Sooze -- I wish that I could have been with you as you taste-tested the wine on the wine tour. :)
Keep writing, Dick!

Renata

Craig Ledbetter said...

Dick are you taking wine notes for Susan? You two have fun I can't wait to the the wine cask. The photos are great.
Craig